Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
We are seeking a permanent, full-time CEO for our community library located in the historic downtown area of Brockville, ON. With a population of 24,000 Brockville is located in the 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence River.
Explore our website (www.brockvillelibrary.ca) to learn more about our Strategic Planning (2013-2018), our community connections, programs and initiatives.
The most recent library re-accreditation process highlighted the transformation of physical layout and administrative approaches, recognizing a library that is open, bright, inviting and accessible. Customer service is evident as a key priority. With a dedicated and enthusiastic staff of 22 (5 full time; 17 part time), and more than 70 volunteers, the Brockville Public Library is an engaging, evolving and rewarding place to work.
Brockville Public Library enjoys a strong collaborative network with neighbouring libraries and benefits from joint projects and partnerships.
The Brockville Public Library is located in beautiful downtown Brockville ON (www.brockville.com) in a gorgeous 18,000 square foot Carnegie facility.
- Continue to transform and enhance library spaces – indoors and out
- Explore options, plan and implement enhancements for seamless services
- Strategic Planning – building on our successes, identify and plan for transition to next priorities
- Inspire, lead and support innovative technology; expand ‘tinker-based’ programming
- Solidify branding and marketing by building staff capacity and competencies
- Build on the exploration of alternative sources of revenue including social enterprise
- Maintain strong community connections and pro-actively seek new opportunities
- Anticipate trends; position the Library to meet community needs, now and in the future
The CEO job description (June 2016) is based on the competency framework developed by SOLS. The full job description is available on our website, www.brockvillelibrary.ca, and will frame the selection process. Highlights include:
Qualifications and Experience:
- A graduate level university degree (i.e. Library Information Services/Information Studies; Public Administration; Business Administration; Education or other relevant studies).
- A minimum of eight to ten (8-10) years varied experience demonstrated in progressively responsible positions with a history of results and positive change, including leadership, management, administration and project management.
- Demonstrated strength and experience with strategic and effective financial and human resources management.
- Experience working directly with a volunteer board and public officials.
- Demonstrated marketing and networking skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in different types of fundraising methods and corresponding processes.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to provide leadership in a changing environment, to plan and work cooperatively and to build and maintain an effective customer service team.
- Thorough knowledge of the governance of public libraries and legislation in Ontario and the roles and responsibilities of municipalities, library boards, and the government ministries.
- An acceptable criminal reference check including a vulnerable sector screening.
A combination of education and experience may be considered.
NOTE: The position requires travel both within the City and throughout Leeds and Grenville and neighbouring regions. Evening and weekend time commitments are occasionally needed; Board meetings are held during the evening.
The CEO salary is currently under review. In conjunction with the City, the Library offers a benefits plan, and participates in the OMERS pension plan.
Submit a results oriented resume and covering letter (pdf format) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 4, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. Receipt will be confirmed via e-mail.
The first round of interviews is planned for early March in Brockville, ON. Responsibilities would begin early June 2017.
We thank all candidates for expressing an interest in becoming the next CEO for the Brockville Public Library; only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The CEO job description may be found here.
Back To Top